Round diamonds are the most popular and sought-after shape. However, this does not mean that they look the biggest!
Elongated diamond shapes look bigger
When we look at a diamond, the eye tends to measure it from the top to the bottom, meaning that elongated shapes always appear a lot larger than they are! Elongated diamonds are:
- Oval diamonds
- Emerald-cut diamonds
- Radiant-cut diamonds in a rectangular shape (i.e. with a ratio between 1.30 and 1.50)
Square shaped diamonds look the smallest
There are 2 types of square-shaped diamonds:
- Radiant-cut diamonds with a ratio between 1.00 and 1.05
- Princess- cut diamonds
Note: square-shaped diamonds are ideal for long fingers but we recommend staying away from this shape if you have short fingers. You can learn more about which shape fits your hand best!
If you have been reading this article, you most certainly want your diamond to look as big as possible. Here are a couple of articles that might interest you:
- Make your diamond look big! Discover Engagement Rings with a Halo
- TUTORIAL: buy the biggest round diamond for your budget
- TUTORIAL: Fancy Shape Diamond Buying Guide - How to buy any diamond that is NOT round!